Josh Charles explains a bit about why he wanted to leave The Good Wife and the producers describe how they reacted to the news.
Our government is open again. Reblog this if you agree it’s time for Washington to focus on the hopes and dreams of the American people.
I had to explain to my class today why learning skills for academic and professional writing is important. It was frustrating that I had to do this, but I hope I was able to make it clear that writing is a form of communication and will only help tem as they get further along in their academic career and their profession after they finish their education. Individuals with good writing skills inherently have an advantage over those that write poorly.I needed some inspiration myself, so here is a nice list courtesy of Utah State University.
- Writing is the primary basis upon which your work, your learning, and your intellect will be judged—in college, in the workplace, and in the community.
- Writing expresses who you are as a person.
- Writing is portable and permanent. It makes your thinking visible.
- Writing helps you move easily among facts, inferences, and opinions without getting confused—and without confusing your reader.
- Writing promotes your ability to pose worthwhile questions.
- Writing fosters your ability to explain a complex position to readers, and to yourself.
- Writing helps others give you feedback.
- Writing helps you refine your ideas when you give others feedback.
- Writing requires that you anticipate your readers’ needs. Your ability to do so demonstrates your intellectual flexibility and maturity.
- Writing ideas down preserves them so that you can reflect upon them later.
- Writing out your ideas permits you to evaluate the adequacy of your argument.
- Writing stimulates you to extend a line of thought beyond your first impressions or gut responses.
- Writing helps you understand how truth is established in a given discipline.
- Writing equips you with the communication and thinking skills you need to participate effectively in democracy.
- Writing is an essential job skill.
Reblog and add to the list! What makes writing so important?
The researchers found evidence that physical activity improves academics. They noted, “Evidence from the studies included in the present systematic review suggests that there is a significant positive relationship between physical activity and academic performance….”
The researchers offered several possible explanations for the positive effect. It may be that activity increases blood flow and oxygen delivery to the brain. It could be that it increases the level of norepinephrine and endorphins, which decreases stress and improves mood, and that the increase in growth factors caused by exercise helps create new nerve cells and supports neurologic development. They also point out that when children participate in sports, they often have better behavior within the classroom and are better able to pay attention to academics.
This report adds to the growing body of literature that supports the need for an appropriate balance of physical activity and study in the school days of our children.
I think one thing that this particular article doesn’t note is that recess is important social interaction/development time. Kids need to learn how to play together.
I’m fortunate enough to work in a school that has a slightly longer school day than many counties - and the kids get recess and PE every day.